Background checks for healthcare workers are important to ensure patient safety. Here are three important things you need to know: Background checks ensure that healthcare workers have never been convicted of or pled guilty or nolo contendere to any crimes relating to abuse or neglect of patients or other vulnerable adults; It is unlawful for any employer to require employees or applicants for employment who have completed the criminal background check process pursuant to subsection (a) or (b) of this section, or who have been determined by the employer to have undergone a satisfactory criminal background check pursuant to subsection (c) of this section, to submit fingerprints as a condition of employment unless such condition is outlined in a written agreement entered into between an employer and employee before employment begins; Background checks must be performed by an independent entity and by state law.
A new survey conducted by SHRM finds
1) Background checks were among the top five employee recruitment practices employers used
2) Approximately 82% of respondents reported they conduct background checks on new hires
3) About 95% reported they conduct background checks on employees returning from extended leaves
4) Among employers who conduct background checks, 63% reported they typically spend $50 or less per employee
5) 26% reported they typically spend $100 or less per employee
6) About 7% of respondents reported they spend more than $150 per employee.
The next time you go into a doctor’s office or visit a nurse at the hospital, it is likely you will find them wearing scrubs and wearing some sort of identification badge around their neck or waist. Background checks for healthcare workers like nurses, medical assistants, lab technicians, radiologists, and surgeons have become an important requirement for employers who need to make sure their employees have had the proper background check conducted before they can enter patients’ lives.
You can trust MBI Worldwide Background Check and Drug Screening with over 22 years of serving our clients.
Give us a call today at 866-275-4624